Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Walking Around Komoto



Where do I start? We are back in Lusaka now after spending two weeks in the village of Komoto. It was a long two weeks full of ups and downs, but I can honestly say I’m going to miss the people there and I hope to go back some day. We stayed at the house of a woman named Mai Phiri. Her hospitality was amazing and she was very patient in teaching us as we bumbled our way through trying new things. 

Us girls with Mai Phiri


Our purpose for being in Komoto was to build a house with the youth. Youth Hope is working with Lloyd Ng’ambi and the CCAP (Presbytery church) to start up a training farm for the youth in the area. This house will be for the caretaker of the land.




This is as far as we got while we were there. The inside walls still needed to be finished, as well as the floor, windows and roof for the veranda. There were a few men who were going to finish that up this week.


Some of my favorite moments in the day were when I got to hang out with the kids in the village. They didn’t understand me very well and I didn’t really understand them. But I loved singing with them, or just sitting around the fire while the sun set and trying to learn new words from them. 

We were supposed to be watching football but we got a bit distracted :)


All of these kids helped with the construction wherever they could, whether is was mixing up the cement or moving bricks, these kids really know how to work!

 
I was supposed to be getting a picture with Ndaba (next to me), but as is common here, others jumped in and became my band of hooligans!
 
One day they decided to put this baby on my back. It only lasted for a minute because he woke and knew I was not his Mama! But it was fun while it lasted :)

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing opportunity! Look forward to hearing more when you get home.

    ReplyDelete